Academic Special Session: Degrowth – author meets the (friendly) critics
Highlights of degrowth research
In this session Giorgos Kallis will discuss his forthcoming book on Degrowth, planned to be published by Agenda Publishing in the Summer of 2018 (https://cup.columbia.edu/book/degrowth/9781911116806).
The book is included in a book series titled 'The economy: Key ideas'. It aims to present degrowth in a brief and concise form (60,000 words) to an audience of economists, especially young economists, as the book is intended for graduate school curricula. The book gives a brief overview of what the degrowth literature has to offer on how we understand the economy. From a degrowth perspective, the author argues, the economy is seen as an invention, that is material, political and diverse. He discusses exploitation and theories of value and how these relate to the capitalist economy. These concepts are then used to revisit the history of economic growth (the concept and the process), and the debate on limits to growth. He gives data to make the case for degrowth, discuss the politics of a degrowth transformation, and close the book with a review of the core debates, controversies, and future areas for degrowth research.
During this session, the book will be presented by Giorgos, followed by comments from Lynne Segal, Alf Hornborg and Jason Hickel (tbc) and a general discussion.
Start time: 14:00
Room: Moriskan (Stora Salongen)
Track: - Other - (fill submission note below)
Concurrent Special Sessions
- Nöjesteatern (Conference room)
- Visualising our Values
- Exhibition space (Nöjesteatern)
- Museum of capitalism
- Folkets park (Hangaren)
- South-North Dialogue on Systemic Alternatives
- Folkets Park
- Workshop: create banners for 'Malmö for justice' de
- ABF (210)
- Narrative Spaces - Experimenting with Transdisciplinary Methods
- Degrowth dialogues with students: Moving talk to action
- ABF (202)
- Making Degrowth News
- ABF (Lilla sallen)
- "Voices from the field: Solidarity Movements for Family Scale Agroecology in Central Europe and the Caribbean - Case Studies of Hungary and Haiti"
- ABF (Stora Salen)
- A Swedish Society Beyond GDP Growth – potentials and hindrances
- Nöjesteatern (Piano bar)
- Degrowth, decrescita and Postwachstum: Commonalities and differences between the Italian and German traditions
- Nöjesteatern (Estraden)
- Waste prevention planning and policies
- Assembling a MU$€UM' of CAPITALI$M''
- Nöjesteatern (Theater)
- Feminism(s) and Degrowth (2)
- Moriskan (Spegeln)
- Philosophies of technology for degrowth (Part 2)